From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: April board report
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 09:02:33 GMT
On 06.04.2009 10:39:27 Philipp Koch wrote:
> hi jeremias,
> >"ImageIO offers so much that you only need Sanselan in very special cases"
> yes and no ;-). for the jpeg use case, ImageIO is not able to read
> specific jpeg headers (eg. embedded adobe jpeg in pdfs), cannot read
> tiff and other file formats that sanselan is able to (without any need
> to install platform dependent plugins (i think of jai)). i think that

Yes, TIFF is the big bummer with a plain Sun JVM. But the JAI ImageIO
Tools include a platform-independent TIFF codec that works fine for
FOP's needs. So again, an incentive to use Sanselan falls away. Of
course, it would be easy to write a plug-in for Sanselan into XML
Graphics Commons' image loader framework (I've actually already done it
as an experiment but I haven't published it).

> imageIO covers all (web)usecases (jpeg, gif, png..) very well but does
> not go beyond that. and that's exactely where sanselan can jump in!
> i think of use cases that sanselan could fulfill in the future like:
> - support "tiled image" functionality for very large images (e.g.
> tiff) (i know jai does it...)
> - extended metadata support (emedded xmp) for all possible image formats
> - ....

Of course, I see that and that's why I also think Sanselan is great.
It's just that Sanselan only offers very little at the moment for the
use cases I deal with from day to day. The same applies to a lot of
other people that just need to load images.

When I'm done with it, I can publish the CCITT Group 4/6 compressor I'm
working on when I'm travelling. That will add real benefit to Sanselan
and can be the spark necessary for the XML Graphics project to use
Sanselan.

Jeremias Maerki