From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: April board report
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 08:23:39 GMT
I don't want to be too negative, but I've thought a little about
Sanselan. What happens if someone comes up with a 100% Java JPEG or
JBIG2 implementation? Or ImageIO codecs wrapping the implementations
here? Sanselan is a collection of related items. When one item is
finished there's not much incentive to stick around and do further
development. Once you got the feature you were looking for, you're gone.

All we have is a few wishes, but not enough time to make certain
things happen.

Philipp is basically hinting at part of the problem: "ok, jpeg is
missing but can be worked around easily." ImageIO offers so much that
you only need Sanselan in very special cases. JPEG support is not as
badly needed as it is available on every Java VM >=1.4. You (maybe) extract
the metadata with Sanselan but load the image with ImageIO.

ATM, I have trouble seeing how a community can be built like this. Of
course, a small group can allocate some time to work on a few things and
get the project through graduation, but isn't it then only destined for
the Attic afterwards? Please don't get me wrong: Sanselan is a great
library and offers some very nice functionality. At the moment, I just
don't see it graduating any time soon. The best I currently see for
Sanselan is to become an Apache Commons subproject that is allowed to go
dormant for some time and to be reawakened from time to time to add some
functionality. However, I fear that Sanselan would get lost in the noise
of the joint mailing lists. But Sanselan as a TLP? I have trouble
imagining that. For the third time in a row, we basically report almost
the exact same text.

I'm curious about your ideas. I'd like Sanselan to succeed.

On 06.04.2009 09:46:35 Philipp Koch wrote:
> thanks carsten!
> yes, there isn't much activity there... but the stuff/functionality
> sanselan is providing is very good and complete (ok, jpeg is missing
> but can be worked around easily). that's in my opinion the reason why
> there isn't much activity there...
>
> regards,
> philipp
>
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> > I've added an initial version:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/April2009
> >
> > I think we should address the possible graduation paths for Sanselan in
> > the near future. I briefly talked with Craig at ApacheCon Europe about
> > this and also talked with Philipp. So we have some vague ideas, I still
> > need the time to write them down :) But I hope I can come up with an
> > email during the week.
> >
> > Carsten
> >
> > Craig L Russell wrote:
> >> April is our month to report to the board via the Incubator PMC.
> >>
> >> Any volunteers to write the report? Please first check it in to the svn
> >> repository (under "board") so everyone can review it and then copy it
> >> into the Incubator wiki http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/April2009 by
> >> Wednesday 8-April to be forwarded to the board.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Craig
> >>

> >> Craig L Russell
> >> Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System http://db.apache.org/jdo