From Charles Matthew Chen <charlesmc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Copied my draft report on the Wiki
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 03:38:22 GMT
Hi Jeremias,

   As you point out, Sanselan hasn't drawn new contributors.

   I've been thinking over the question of how to get more people
involved in the Sanselan project for more than a year.  The primary
obstacle seems to be that most people are interested in a very narrow
subset of image formats (jpg, gif, png, tiff) which Sanselan already
supports fairly well.  These formats are very static - revisions to or
new versions of the formats simply don't happen.  Almost all of the
commonly used features of these formats are well-supported.  In short,
there's very little work to be done unless we change the scope of the
project.

   Improving support for reading and writing EXIF/IPTC data in jpeg
images addressed one of these key missing areas.  There are a list of
things I personally would like to do on the project (more control over
how images are written, better documentation), but these are not
projects that have or are likely to attract new members to the
project.

   Other outstanding feature requests are either problematic or very
difficult.  Reading and/or writing JPEG image data is a huge project,
which imho is already well served by alternatives to Sanselan (unless
we simply wrap ImageIO).  Adding support for JBIG2 would be great, but
it would be a large project and so far, no one has volunteered to do
it.

   And so I don't expect there to be projects that are likely to
attract new contributors in the near future.  This seems like a fatal
problem, as Apache measures the health of a project by the activity
and size of its community.

Charles Matthew Chen