From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Vote] 0.96 release candidate
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:43:31 GMT
Hi Jeremias,

First, I don't believe Apache policy is explicit as far as a
requirement to publish public keys in a public key server, but there
is a requirement to add the key to the KEYS file.

On Jan 12, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Is that a requirement?

The signature is meaningful to folks who download the software and try
to verify it. Tthe KEYS file is a double check that the publicly
available key is actually the same key as the Apache key.

> I think more important would be that Charles' key
> were integrated in the Apache web of trust.

This will be needed to graduate (my personal requirement).

> So far his key hasn't been
> signed. Anyway, with the key from the KEYS file (when retrieved
> through
> SVN) you can verify the release artifacts. At least that's how I did
> it.

Right. But I don't think we should expect users of the software (the
audience for the signature) to make the effort to have to find the key.

Craig