From "Charles Matthew Chen" <charlesmc...@gmail.com>
Subject 0.95 release candidate
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:20:04 GMT
Hello all,

   It feels like its time for another release - 0.95.  We have a
growing number of fixes and improvements that include:

 * Added more unit tests around BMP.
 * Added more images to the test image suite.
 * Fixed a bug where errors were being wrongly logged to System.out.
 * Moved the example code into the test source directory, to comply
with Maven's standard project layout.
 * Added a couple of images to the sample image library that
demonstrate a couple variations on Photoshop/IPTC data.
 * Fixed a small bug in the IPTC constants introduced while cleaning
up the constants.
 * Started shift towards moving field-level parsing into
BinaryInputStream and BinaryOutputStream.
 * Fixed a png unit test that used a piece of Java 1.6 syntax.
 * Added unit tests around the new IPTC functionality.
 * Added IPTC remove/update/insert functionality.
 * Rewrote the IPTC parsing support.
 * Added improved support for reading and writing iTXt, tEXt, zTXt Png chunks.
 	Added a unit test that demonstrates the feature.
 * Found a new regression wherein DeflaterOutputStream needs to be closed.
 * Added the .tar.bz2 distributions back into the maven assembly descriptors.
 * Moved the example/sample code to a new top-level source folder, "example."
 * Replaced dependency on java.util.zip.DeflaterOutputStream, which is
only available in Java 1.6.
 * Added a unit test around reading and writing images in every format.
 * We now sort some (but not all) GIF color tables.
 * Applied the BMP "buffer flushing" bug to the PBM reading and writing code.
 * Fixed a regression around flushing the bit buffer when writing BMPs
with very small palettes.
 * Removed assumption about DataBuffer type when reading BMPs.
 * When writing a GIF, we now always include a Graphic Control
Extension block, even if its not necessary.
 * We are more defensive about missing GCEs.
 * Lastly, we now set a minimum bound on initial code sizes for
LZW-compressed Gif image data.
 * Found a regression in writing TIFFs around strip offsets being
properly updated.  Not a LZW issue after all.
	Added a few unit tests around this issue.
	see: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANSELAN-6
 * Added ability to remove and update XMP XML in existing JPEG files.
 * Added ability to embed XMP XML when writing the following formats:
GIF, PNG, TIFF.
 * Improved handling of tEXt and zTXt PNG text blocks.
 * Added XMP XML extraction for the following formats: GIF (untested),
JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PSD.
 * Added RELEASE_NOTES file (this file).
 * Added Apache license header to bin.xml and src.xml Maven assembly
descriptors.
 * Added Javadocs to the binary distribution

   The release should closely resemble the previous release (0.94) in
structure.

   This release incorporates a number of improvements suggested in the
last release process, such as including javadocs in the binary
distribution.

   The one potential problem that I am aware of is that Maven didn't
generate md5 or sha1 checksums for any of the files.  I'm not sure why
- I'm using the same assembly files as for the last release.  I
generated the .md5 and .sha1 files "by hand", using the md5sum.exe and
fciv.exe implementations.

   The proposed release can be found here:

http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/dist/incubator/sanselan/0.95/

   Apache RAT output for this release can be found here:

http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/rat-bin-0.95.txt
http://people.apache.org/~cmchen/rat-src-0.95.txt

   The intent is for this release to reside here:

http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/sanselan/0.95/

   Please take a look if you get a chance.  Given that it is the
holiday season in many countries, perhaps we should extend the voting
deadline?

Thanks,
   Charles