From "David Underhill" <doun...@gmail.com>
Subject suggestion: add / extend the metadata writer example
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:59:05 GMT
Just a thought: it might be helpful to provide an example of how to write
string-based EXIF fields.  I had to do some googling to come across this
article which showed me how (http://www.screaming-penguin.com/node/7485).
It was helpful to me since I was trying to write the UserComment field.
However, I ran into a little issue when doing it -- the definition of the
UserComment field in the EXIF standard says that the first eight bytes is a
"code" which tells a reader how to interpret the rest of the UserComment
field. It is a simple extension to write the code to add this header ...
here it is:

String userCommentHeaderForASCII = "ASCII\0\0\0";
String userCommentData = userCommentHeaderForASCII + "some string value";
TiffOutputField uc = new
TiffOutputField(TiffConstants.EXIF_TAG_USER_COMMENT,
TiffConstants.FIELD_TYPE_ASCII,
userCommentData.length(),
userCommentData.getBytes());
People here know this, but it might be nice to include it in a little
example for newcomers to the API like me :).

Thanks,

~ David