From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Attracting developers
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 05:40:34 GMT
Charles,

while I find it extremely cool like you add new features to Sanselan
based on user questions, this also works a bit against community
building. If there are no itches to scratch, potential committers won't
send in patches with improvements. They can just rely on your implementing
the missing stuff. Sometimes it might be better just to explain (with
hints and pointers) how to add a feature instead of doing it yourself. I
know that's hard to do, especially if it's fun to implement the feature.
Please don't get me wrong: There's nothing wrong with filling in some
blanks that users report. And I know this is a conflict. But one of the
goals of Sanselan is to attract additional developers.

As a side-note, we've seen that you've been starting work on a JBIG2
codec (which you know I'm really keen on). Why don't you just create a
branch and upload what you already have. If it doesn't break the build
why not just start with it in trunk? Sometimes unfinished code is an
incentive for others to take up your work and continue.

Just a few thoughts, hopefully constructive.

Jeremias Maerki