From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Release
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:04:31 GMT
Hi Charles,

On Jul 16, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:

>   Okay, I've worked my way through the first portion of the Felix
> release management process.
>
>> http://felix.apache.org/site/release-management.html
>
>   I've reached this step:
>
> """
> Upload these files to people.apache.org into your home folder and put
> them there together with the KEYS file containing your public key so
> we can verify the signatures.
> """
>
>   I've uploaded my KEYS file and the output of the maven release
> build to my account (~cmchen) on people.apache.org.  I kept the folder
> structure of the output, so most of the files are in:
>
> ~/org/apache/sanselan/sanselan/0.92-incubator/

I wasn't able to access http://people.apache.org/~cmchen to look at
your distribution. You might need to make a public directory
public_html and put the distribution into it.

You can look at how I've set up my personal directory as an example. http://people.apache.org/~clr/

What I did was to create a dist directory that upon successful voting,
gets copied directly into the incubator/dist directory. So whatever is
in dist should exactly match incubator/dist.

You should run RAT on the distribution artifacts to make sure that the
LICENSE, NOTICE, etc. files are all ok.

>   ie.:
>
> ~/org/apache/sanselan/sanselan/0.92-incubator/sanselan-0.92-
> incubator-bin.zip
>
>   Shall we start up the voting?  Is there anything obviously wrong
> with this build?
>
>   My first thought is about the source package.  Craig said:
>
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com
> > wrote:
>> This project could have a single source distribution (.zip) and a
>> single
>> binary distribution (.jar).
>>
>> The source distro could be simply a zip of the source tree (rooted at
>> trunk).
>>
>> The binary distro could be the result of building the .jar file and
>> making
>> sure that the appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files are included when
>> building it.
>
>   The source distro in this build includes the tests and the test
> resources (ie. the test image suite).  This will make the source
> distro much, much larger.  Should we offer a no-test version of the
> source distro?

I'd lean toward making the source distribution be runnable (including
tests) immediately after download, so I'd say "yes, include test
images".

Good start.

Craig

> Charles
>

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org
> > wrote:
>> Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>>>
>>>  What's the next step in getting our initial release approved?
>>> Should the builds be posted somewhere?
>>>
>> Yes, the first steps are detailed at the Felix project:
>> http://felix.apache.org/site/release-management.html
>>
>> We can follow the steps including starting the vote. Once the vote is
>> finished, we need to get additional permission from the incubator
>> pmc.
>> After this second vote, hopefully successful, is finished, we can
>> continue
>> with uploading the release to the appropriate incubator directories.
>>
>> So, the first step is: creating the release, tagging, signing and
>> putting it
>> up for review.
>>
>> Carsten
>>
>> --