From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Sanselan 0.93 Release Vote
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:09:59 GMT
The process doesn't have to fail if you want to respin a build.

You can have as many votes as you like for the same release 0.93.

You are right that the general at incubator list doesn't really want
to watch the dev list iterate until there is a release that the dev
team is happy with. Then, when dev is happy, you post the vote on
general at incubator.

The normal practice is for votes to have a subject line that includes
[VOTE] in the subject line.

If a vote fails, you can call another vote with a note like (second
try) in the subject line, if you are keeping the same artifact name.

Alternatively, you can add more descriptive tags to the path of the
artifacts, e.g. ~cmchen/dist/incubator/sanselan/0.93-try2/
sanselan-0.93-incubating-bin.tar.gz. After a successful vote of 0.93-
try2 you can rename the path before copying it (or copy it with the
correct name).

Of course, it's also ok to respin with a complete new release number,
but as you've seen, changing the path names and pom version numbers is
pretty painful if all you need to do is to change a few bits and
respin the release.

Whatever process the team decides on, it should be documented in the
svn tree, perhaps in a high level document (at the same level as
trunk) called HowToRelease.txt or something similar. The process for
release naming and tagging/branching should also be documented.

Craig

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!