From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Sanselan 0.93 Release Vote
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:12:48 GMT

On Jul 23, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Carsten,
>> I guess one key reason for having multiple mentors is that no two
>> Apache people agree on anything. ;-)
> Hehe, and that's why we have three mentors - this either creates a
> majority of 2:1 or three totally different opinions :) (I guess most
> times its the latter)
>
>> My input is to suggest that the team create a process that doesn't
>> involve busy work and is transparent to the developers and users.
>> Respinning a release is work; changing the release number is busy
>> work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busy_work ;-)
> :) Yeah, I'm fine with doing it this way - it's just that most of
> the other projects I'm working on at Apache do it the way I
> described. But that's no problem. We can do it "your way" :)
>

> The only technical problem I see is that we use the mvn release
> plugin to create the release and this one automatically creates a tag.

One of the irritating things about maven, IMHO. But does this mean you
can't fail a vote and respin the same release???

Anyway, discussion is good. As a mentor, it's not my intent to tell
the podling how to do things. It is my intent for the team to think
about how they want to work and to do it with intent.

Craig

> But we can invoke the release plugin from your suggested release
> branch, it creates the tag and we just remove it by hand afterwards
> - not that nice I know. Perhaps there is a better way.
>
> Carsten
> --
> Carsten Ziegeler
> cziegeler@apache.org