From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Sanselan 0.93 Release Vote
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:43:25 GMT
Just a few more comments on the release process.

Different projects have different processes for naming and branching,
tagging, and releasing. For example, if your naming scheme is
major.minor.update, you can start with a 0.93 (no updates before
release 1.0).

In trunk, build 0.93-SNAPSHOT. When you want to release, create a
releases/0.93 with svn: svn copy trunk releases/0.93. Then change the
trunk to build 0.94-SNAPSHOT and change the releases/0.93 to build
0.93. Iterate on the release until the vote is successful. Then tag
the release via svn: svn move releases/0.93 tags/0.93. By convention
(sanselan convention) tags are read-only.

If it is decided to maintain multiple code lines after release, the
process can get a bit more involved. For example, trunk gets the
latest code (pom says 1.1-SNAPSHOT) while a maintenance branch/1.0.x
gets maintenance (pom says 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT). The release is frozen at
tags/1.0 (pom says 1.0). Then to create a release 1.1, start by
copying trunk to releases/1.2. To create a maintenance release 1.0.1,
start by copying branches/1.0.x to branches/1.0.1. The final step in
release is to move the branches/xxx to tags/xxx.

Craig

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!