From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: JPEG Support
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:26:28 GMT
I think there are no severe problems that should keep the ASF from
producing a full implementation. There is some interesting information
on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#Potential_patent_issues

In terms of full support, the rest of the above Wiki page should give an
idea what kinds of steps are involved in encoding and decoding a JPEG
image. Obviously, this thing has to be as fast as possible. Harmony used
libjpeg (in C) for the JPEG codec:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/imageio/src/main/native/jpegencoder
Of course, we could do it the same way, but a plain Java implementation
would really be great because there are no problems with different
platforms even if that means a possible, little performance impact. At
any rate, I guess it's quite a bit of work. Anyway, the decoder is
probably more important than the encoder. Well, at least to me. ;-)

On 08.04.2008 11:35:07 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Just curious, what needs to be done to get full jpeg support? Are there
> any legal problems?
>
> Carsten
> --
> Carsten Ziegeler