From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: JBIG2 codec: GSoC project?
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:24:35 GMT
On 08.03.2008 02:47:08 Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>    I like this idea, but I'm not sure Sanselan as an Apache project is
> ready for this yet.  We haven't even had a single Apache release yet.
> Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Why shouldn't it be ready? The incubation process is all about
building community and attracting new people. GSOC is one way to show
students what open source is all about.

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCodeMentor
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html

> Would anyone else be  willing to do this?

I've decided not to do it. I'm spread to thin as it is and while JBIG2
is very nice-to-have I've got higher priorities. Sorry.

It's a five-minute job: http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2008

> Charles.
>

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> > GSoC is about to start. I just thought, it would be extremely good to
> >  have a JBIG2 codec for Java under an acceptable license. Both FOP and
> >  PDFBox (incubating) would benefit from that a lot! It would actually be
> >  a reason for FOP to adopt Sanselan in the first place as, at the moment,
> >  it doesn't offer anything over the duo: ImageIO and JAI ImageIO Tools.
> >
> >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBIG2
> >
> >  This would make a good GSoC project, wouldn't it? However, I'm not sure,
> >  yet, if I should be a mentor on this if maybe I have another idea in the
> >  FOP-area where my priorities lie. Anyone around who would burn to be a
> >  mentor here?
> >
> >  WDYT?
> >
> >  Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki