From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New non-Apache Sanselan release
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 06:06:30 GMT
Hi Charles,

On Jan 24, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
>   I'm not really familiar with that option.  Can you elaborate or
> perhaps share a url?

http://maven.apache.org is the starting point for information. I've
been using maven for a while now and it's very popular among open
source projects. In order to use sanselan in a project, all you need
to do is to include a few lines of code in an xml file and you're
done. Maven will download the jar file and include it in your build
and run environments.

For example, to use sanselan in another project, you'd declare this in
your configuration file:

         <dependency>
             <groupId>org.apache.sanselan</groupId>
             <artifactId>sanselan</artifactId>
             <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
         </dependency>

>   What trade-offs do we face in this decision?

It's just a bit more work setting up the publication of the jar file
in the maven repository. All the usual due diligence is still required
to prepare the jar file for publication.

Best,

Craig

> Charles.
>

> On Jan 24, 2008 8:19 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> Does it make sense to ship the binary release as a maven artifact?
>>
>> This would be useful (mostly) if users wrote code and wanted to
>> automatically include it in their programs. It would be suitable if
>> the primary release artifact is "just a jar with a bunch of java
>> classes and legal notices (meta-inf) in it".
>>
>> Craig
>>

>> On Jan 23, 2008, at 11:15 PM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Craig,
>>>
>>>  It seems like our needs are fairly ordinary.  Like most projects, I
>>> think we would do well to produce "source" and "binary" releases.
>>>
>>>  The binary release would include a .jar file with the core classes
>>> (no unit tests or test data), the javadocs and basic files such as
>>> the
>>> license, changelist, a snapshot of the wiki docs (or at least a
>>> reference to them), etc.  The .jar file wouldn't neccessarily have
>>> be signed, or packaged in a particular way.
>>>
>>>  The source release would include all of the sources files (core and
>>> test), the test data, the javadocs, and the basic files.  It would
>>> include nearly everything in the repo.  I'm not sure what it
>>> wouldn't
>>> include.
>>>
>>>   The binary and source releases would be available as both .zip and
>>> .tar.gz archives.
>>>
>>> Charles.

Craig Russell