From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New non-Apache Sanselan release
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 01:19:46 GMT
Hi Charles,

Does it make sense to ship the binary release as a maven artifact?

This would be useful (mostly) if users wrote code and wanted to
automatically include it in their programs. It would be suitable if
the primary release artifact is "just a jar with a bunch of java
classes and legal notices (meta-inf) in it".

Craig

On Jan 23, 2008, at 11:15 PM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
>   It seems like our needs are fairly ordinary.  Like most projects, I
> think we would do well to produce "source" and "binary" releases.
>
>   The binary release would include a .jar file with the core classes
> (no unit tests or test data), the javadocs and basic files such as the
> license, changelist, a snapshot of the wiki docs (or at least a
> reference to them), etc.  The .jar file wouldn't neccessarily have to
> be signed, or packaged in a particular way.
>
>   The source release would include all of the sources files (core and
> test), the test data, the javadocs, and the basic files.  It would
> include nearly everything in the repo.  I'm not sure what it wouldn't
> include.
>
>    The binary and source releases would be available as both .zip and
> .tar.gz archives.
>
> Charles.
>

> On Jan 23, 2008 1:04 AM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Charles,
>>

>> On Jan 22, 2008, at 9:12 PM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>>  I've released a new non-Apache build (0.88) of Sanselan.  It's
>>> available here:
>>>
>>> http://fightingquaker.com/sanselan/
>>>
>>>  On the last point, I wonder what we can do to reach the point of
>>> our first apache build.  I saw the following message on the
>>> incubator's general mailing list a few weeks ago.  Would it be a
>>> good
>>> idea to enlist Robert's help?
>>
>> What Robert is discussing here is where to post the release
>> artifacts.
>>
>> Before we get there, we need to make sure we're ready to release
>> something.
>>
>> Let's start with this: What do we release? How do we package it?
>>
>> Craig
>>>

>>> Charles.

Craig Russell