From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:00:46 GMT
Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>    Can anyone help me build our first binary and source distributions?
>  I think its fairly clear what we want in each distribution.
>
> Binary:
> .jar of the core classes.
> javadocs
> license info etc.
>
> Source:
> source of all of the classes (including unit tests, example code, etc.)
> javadocs
> license info etc.
>
>    I need help with two things:
>
>    First, there's a number of details mentioned in
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html that I don't
> understand.  For example, "Check that LICENSE and NOTICE documents
> contain required sections."  I'm also unclear on how signing should
> work.
>
>    Secondly, how exactly do we go about releasing these builds?  ie.
> do we build locally and upload?  To what server & where?  Or are
> release builds generated by an automated build system?

We can use maven to build the distribution, maven is also able to
directly sign the release etc. I think we need some additional
information in our pom for this (I have to look at the maven docs for this).
The release should be signed, so people can download the release and
verify the signature.

Now, for the process, this is actually a two step process. First, the
release is cut which means the corresponding artifacts are created and
signed and then put up somewhere (usually projects use people.apache.org
for such things) so others can download it and verify if everything is
correct. Then a vote has to take place on these uploaded binaries and if
the vote is successful, these binaries become the official release and
the release is put on the Apache download server. If something is wrong
with the artifacts, they're simply deleted, the problems will be fixed
and the process is repeated - with a different version number!
All of this is a manual process.

The LICENSE file should list all used licences throughout the artifact,
so in our case this is just the Apache license. The NOTICE files
contains references to used projects and lists the origin of the used
parts. As we are not using other libraries, again this list only Apache.
We have to take care that these files will end up in the distributed
artifacts as well.

So I think the first step is to get maven build the distributions. I can
help with this next week.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler