From "Charles Matthew Chen" <charlesmc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ready...Set...
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:30:40 GMT
Hello everyone,

   Let me begin by thanking everyone for taking an interest in this project.

   Sanselan began in 2004; most of the current codebase was written
over a period of a couple of weeks.  At the time I was working for a
firm selling software and services to professional photographers.
This position offered me access to images from a wide variety of
cameras.  Over the next year I found small ways to make the library
more robust.  I open sourced it soon thereafter.

   Interest in the project was slow but steady until late 2006 when I
began to receive a increasing volume of questions, bug fix requests,
etc.  This lead me to resume work on the project, addressing many
longstanding issues, not all of which are yet resolved (such as the
lack of proper javadocs).

   When Carsten approached me about donating the project to Apache,
the timing could not have been more perfect.  I had received a number
of requests to move the project to sourceforge or its like and was
debating what to do.  I've always had the highest esteem for the
Apache organization and its projects, so moving here was an unexpected
honor.

   Confluence +1

   Maven +1

   I'm not sure what splitting the project into sub-projects would
offer us at this point.

Charles.