From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Ready...Set...
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:12:53 GMT
Hi Philipp,

On Sep 16, 2007, at 6:21 AM, Philipp Koch wrote:

>> Where do we want the Sanselan site to live? We could use Confluence
>> for both our wiki and site and get some usability and productivity
>> gains.
> i heard(e.g. felix project) that confluence seems to be quite good,
> but do not know it yet in detail.

The biggest advantage of Confluence is that once it's set up, it's
really easy to publish changes. On the other hand, I don't know
enough to set it up, although our friends at infra have experience.

>> What should the structure of the repository be? Some projects use a
>> structure that has at the top level trunk, branches, tags, and board.
>> Within trunk, some projects have sub-projects, each of which builds a
>> separate jar file.
> i only know the jackrabbit project in more detail and i think that
> structure is quite nice. what do others think?

I like the jackrabbit structure. It has trunk, site, branches, and
tags, which are pretty standard for Apache projects. Others can look
at the structure here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/

There are several sub-projects in jackrabbit. Do we need this for
Sanselan as well? It might be good to define an API project/jar and
an implementation project/jar although I don't know if this is really
needed. How many sub-projects are desirable?

>> What build structure do we want? Sanselan is a relatively small
>> project but still, it might be nice to use maven as a build tool to
>> make it easy for users to deploy and make it easy for sanselan
>> developers to publish.
> +1 for maven

As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of maven as well.

Craig

> regards,
> philipp
>
> On 9/14/07, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>> Go.
>>
>> The Sanselan project is now open for business. We have a repository,
>> a mailing list, and a jira. What else is needed?
>>
>> The code grant is being reviewed and the non-Apache committers' ids
>> are being set up. So what can we do before the code grant is approved
>> and the code arrives? Just a bit of planning.
>>
>> If you have the time, please take a look at the structure of other
>> projects. Some top level issues:
>>
>> Where do we want the Sanselan site to live? We could use Confluence
>> for both our wiki and site and get some usability and productivity
>> gains.
>>
>> What should the structure of the repository be? Some projects use a
>> structure that has at the top level trunk, branches, tags, and board.
>> Within trunk, some projects have sub-projects, each of which builds a
>> separate jar file.
>>
>> What build structure do we want? Sanselan is a relatively small
>> project but still, it might be nice to use maven as a build tool to
>> make it easy for users to deploy and make it easy for sanselan
>> developers to publish.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> Craig Russell