From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Ready...Set...
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:03:08 GMT
Hi Charles,

On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    Being entirely new to the Apache community, I have a few process
> questions.
>
>    First, when we vote on questions such as using Confluence & Maven,
> must all of the committers vote?

No, and in fact there isn't always a need for a formal vote if there
is consensus. The question is how to gauge consensus, and sometimes
the easiest way to gauge it is to have a vote. If there is a vote on
process, majority rules. Not everyone has to vote.

By the way, we now have a Confluence repository that automatically
creates our web site. Probably everyone has seen it by now. http://
cwiki.apache.org/SANSELAN/

>    Second, I've replaced the headers of all of the source files with
> the standard Apache header including the Apache license info.  So, the
> code is ready to commit once the code grant is approved.

The code grant is just part of the incubation process, so as soon as
we figure out where it goes, you can check it in. The more important
thing is the structure of the repository. Since we've discussed maven
and jackrabbit as a model for the repository, just agreement of where
to put the code is sufficient now.

>    In the meantime, I'm going to continue work on the project.  This
> raises a question of process.  How are new directions for the project
> decided upon?  By that, I mean decisions that are more significant
> than small patches.  Is there a guideline for what needs to be voted
> upon?

I think you've hit on it. "More significant than small patches."
We've discussed maven and the structure of the repository already.
Other decisions should be discussed on this alias and then move forward.

If you have something that you think needs discussion, raise it on
this list as a proposal. In the beginning, there might not be much
discussion but over time with more community, more discussion.

For now, let's focus on getting the code into the repo and get some
builds done to replicate what is available outside Apache so the
community can start to migrate to using the Apache builds.

Craig

> Thanks,
>    Charles.
>

> On 9/17/07, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>> I've opened jira issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
>> INFRA-1365 for the Confluence service.
>>
>> The maven stuff we can do all by ourselves.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On Sep 17, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>>    Let me begin by thanking everyone for taking an interest in this
>>> project.
>>>
>>>    Sanselan began in 2004; most of the current codebase was written
>>> over a period of a couple of weeks.  At the time I was working for a
>>> firm selling software and services to professional photographers.
>>> This position offered me access to images from a wide variety of
>>> cameras.  Over the next year I found small ways to make the library
>>> more robust.  I open sourced it soon thereafter.
>>>
>>>    Interest in the project was slow but steady until late 2006
>>> when I
>>> began to receive a increasing volume of questions, bug fix requests,
>>> etc.  This lead me to resume work on the project, addressing many
>>> longstanding issues, not all of which are yet resolved (such as the
>>> lack of proper javadocs).
>>>
>>>    When Carsten approached me about donating the project to Apache,
>>> the timing could not have been more perfect.  I had received a
>>> number
>>> of requests to move the project to sourceforge or its like and was
>>> debating what to do.  I've always had the highest esteem for the
>>> Apache organization and its projects, so moving here was an
>>> unexpected
>>> honor.
>>>
>>>    Confluence +1
>>>
>>>    Maven +1
>>>
>>>    I'm not sure what splitting the project into sub-projects would
>>> offer us at this point.
>>>
>>> Charles.

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo