incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Difference between Stream and RemoteStream classes
Date Mon, 27 May 2013 14:09:26 GMT
Hi, let me reply inline:

On May 27, 2013, at 16:04 , Lokesh Shrivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I came across two different methods in App.java class called "createStream" which creates
Stream object and "createOutputStream" which creates RemoteStream. I have gone through their
api docs and based on that I think following deployment scenarios fit for each of those classes
-

> 1. When there are multiple S4 nodes running on same machine or different machines but
all of them belong to same S4 cluster - Stream can be used.

yes

> 2. When there are multiple S4 clusters and we need to send events across these clusters
- RemoteStream.

yes

> Can RemoteStream be used instead of Steam in use case#1 above?

No, because events on the remote stream are sent in round-robin mode by default. This means
that keys would end up being replicated across the nodes, something we don't want within an
app.

This works well for passing events between apps or for injecting events in an S4 cluster,
but not within an S4 cluster.

> I believe Stream can not be used to send event across clusters?

Indeed it cannot.

Regards,

Matthieu