incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Sky Zhao <sky.z...@ericsson.com>
Subject RE: About using Metrics
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 06:54:10 GMT
Thanks Matthieu,

About Metrics library
If use this, in s4 whether application class code should add Gauge code, but if tracing PE
instances(queue size, or time consuming), how inject Gauge into PE element, seems a bit complex
and messy to write Gauge code.

About S4Metrics
S4Metrics is a good class which can trace the stream queue size or time etc.
But don't know how to use it in S4 application, can you instruct link to describe, another,
s4.metrics.config I can not find, which specify the content format, does it have other functions
and how to use it.

/Sky

From: Matthieu Morel [mailto:mmorel@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:49 PM
To: s4-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: About using Metrics

Not sure I understand the question. We use an external library for adding metrics to various
parts of the platform. But you have to define explicitly what you measure, by inserting the
corresponding metrics hooks.

In S4 we tried to factor metrics management in an S4Metrics class, but that is mostly for
clarity.

See the library documentation here http://metrics.codahale.com/ for more info on how to use
the same library, though there are others.

Hope this helps,

Matthieu