incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Helix for cluster management of S4
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:56:39 GMT

Regarding redistribution of partitions with stateful PEs, another simple solution is to activate
checkpointing.

Then when you need to repartition:
- on the origin node, upon a rebalancing request for partition p, you simply invalidate PE
instances from partition p from the local cache (and trigger checkpointing if necessary)
- on the destination node, there is nothing to do, state for PEs belonging to partition p
is lazily reloaded (i.e. when necessary).

Of course there are other solutions, such as manually snapshotting to a data store, but that
may be more complex.

Matthieu

On Nov 30, 2012, at 7:44 PM, kishore g wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Thats right the key idea is to over partition the stream( number of partitions higher
than the number of nodes).

> Helix supports two modes, when a new node is added it automatically moves partitions.
We call this AUTO_REBALANCE. This is recommended for stateless tasks. Another mode is SEMI_AUTO
where you can change the topology using admin command. So what  one would do is add a new
node and then rebalance the cluster by invoking an Helix Api, Helix will then re-distribute
partitions and as I said earlier will minimize the movement and co-ordinate the movement.
When I say co-ordinate, it will first ask the old leader to stop processing the partition.
It can then snapshot its state. Once thats done Helix will ask the new node to host the partition,
where it can load the snapshot. I will add this example to the walk through instruction.

>  Daniel,
>
> Yes that is possible, I think createTask and deployApp commands already take an optional
parameter to list a subset of nodes but I think I have only implemented it for deployApp.
Adding it for createTask( which assigns stream processing to s4 nodes) is straight forward.

> Matthieu mentioned that in the Readme instructions the adapter command is invoking the
old code. I will make that change in some time. If you are trying this now, then run GenericEventAdapter
from eclipse directly. ( The same options hold good).

> Yes JIRA is 110. I will add the description. I am pretty sure there will be issues :-)
>

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Daniel Gómez Ferro <danielgf@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I agree with Matthieu, that's a really nice integration!
>
> I particularly like having different partition schemes per stream. I guess it would be
easy (or at least possible) to implement some kind of isolation where only a subset of nodes
handles a specific stream, for example (related to S4-91).

> It looks really nice, I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll give more feedback if I
run into any issues. I guess the right JIRA for that would be S4-110, right? (It's missing
a description!)

> Good job!
>
> Daniel
>

> On Fri Nov 30 16:37:11 2012, Matthieu Morel wrote:
> Thanks Kishore, that's a very interesting contribution!
>
> It's also very appropriate considering that S4 is completely decentralized and that there
is no driving/scheduling entity: the logic is within the nodes. So it's nice to have a way
to easily describe and define coordinated behaviors, and to easily automate them.

> About the partitioning, the key here as I understand it, is to have a number of partitions
higher than the number of nodes by default, possibly several times higher. So a given node
is assigned multiple partitions. (In contrast, until now in S4, nb partitions <= nb nodes,
including standby nodes).

> In the canonical example that you provide, how do we proceed if we want to add another
s4 node? That's not clear to me, and it would help understand how partitions are reassigned.