incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Shailendra Mishra <shailend...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modeling a pipeline
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 20:20:13 GMT
The approach looks OK and since I don't know the nature of the
transforms hence the question:
Wouldn't you like to put multiple transforms (pick a no. like say 5),
so as to decrease the communication complexity ? or the transforms so
compute intensive that you have to allocate a PE for each". -
Shailendra

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Andrea Reale <andrea.reale@unibo.it> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to run some tests on piper, running in in a cluster of four
> node in a particular image processing scenario. I am writing this
> message to possibly gather opinions about the way I am currently my
> problem, and whether there is some better way to do it.
>

> My scenario is the following:
> I have a series of OpenCV transformations that can be modeled as a
> pipeline of 30 stages (at each stage one transformation is applied).
> My modeling approach is to model each stage as a ProcessingElement, so
> that the graph is basically something like:
>
> .-------.     .-----.                .--- --.       .-----.
> | Adpt. |-c0->| St1 |-c1-> ... -c29->| St30 | -c30->| Snk |
> '-------'     '-----'                '------'       '-----'
>
> Where:
> -Adpt. is an adapter that reads image samples and creates corresponding
> S4 events
> - St1-30 are the OpenCVPEs
> - Snk is a PE that stores the results
> - c0-c30 are 30 different streams
>
> Since in this case I do not need events to be processed by keys, I
> assign to every stream an instance of a KeyFinder which returns a
> constant; in other words KeyFinder#get() returns the same value
> independently on the particular event (practically, it returns the name
> of the stream).
>

> While I already made some experiments with this approach (and it appears
> to work), I would like to know whether you believe there is a better
> approach for modeling my problem in terms of S4 PEs / streams.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Andrea
>

> LA RICERCA C’È E SI VEDE:
> 5 per mille all'Università di Bologna - C.F.: 80007010376
> http://www.unibo.it/5permille
>
> Questa informativa è inserita in automatico dal sistema al fine esclusivo della realizzazione
dei fini istituzionali dell’ente.