incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graduation?
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2013 07:12:11 GMT
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fpjunqueira@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > I have some comments inline:

> >> Thank you ant for checking in. :-)

> inception.

> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator
> .
> >>>

> >> I'd turn that around and ask the community to ask themselves this
> >> question. Who do they want as a new committer? (keep in mind that
> >> discussion of personnel matters should typically be conducted on the
> >> private list).
> >
> > I haven't observed the degree of commitment I have observed when we
> invite new committers in other projects. At the same time, I have been
> seeing more messages flowing on the list, which is very positive. Perhaps
> in the near future we will have the opportunity to invite new committers.

> >> Absolutely. As I mentioned I think the community is doing fine. I
> >> wouldn't stand in the way of graduation if others were interested, I
> >> just don't personally think they are ready for the reasons I stated -
> >> hence why I haven't pushed for graduation.
> >
> > The release process doesn't concern me as much. It took this community a
> while to produce releases, but other than that I think they are quality
> releases.
> >

> I agree, the releases have been good. However IMO having multiple
> release candidates indicates that there were issues that everyone
> (PPMC) thought were fine, but still had to be addressed (based on
> further feedback from IPMC). I'm part of the PPMC and I missed some of
> those details, so it's not really a blame issue, but I'm just saying
> the process/content itself is still in flux. That will smooth out as
> folks get more experience and there's more visibility on the
> process/artifact. Good to have incubator insight during that process.

However preventing graduation till more incubating releases are done is
requiring a higher bar to graduation than what is required for other
podlings. Release voting in the Incubator is difficult and inconsistent,
lots of podling releases are made to do multiple respins but thats more a
problem with the incubator process not the podling.

I'll start a thread on the private list about the committer issue.

   ...ant