incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graduation?
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 09:04:39 GMT
Hi Patrick thanks for replying. Some comments and questions inline.

   ...ant

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> I've been hesitant to push for graduation for the following reasons:
>
> 1) only one new committer has been added to the project since it's inception.

Have there been contributors that you feel might have merited being
made a committer but weren't? What we're looking for is that the
podling is open to new people, from the Incubator policy page - "new
committers are admitted according to ASF practices" -
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator.

> 2) there have only been two releases. The second of which required 5
> release candidates.

Many podlings only do one release before graduating and that often
requires a few RCs. Looking back in the archives at the S4 RC votes i
think they will have learnt a lot about how to do releases from all
the respins. Also, some of these haven't been helped but the vagaries
of the Incubator release voting which will be avoided after
graduation.

How would you feel if the mentors were included in the graduated PMC
to help ensure future releases are done well and any potential new
committers get noticed, would that make graduation any easier?

   ...ant