incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: S4 Roadmap
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 16:59:59 GMT
Thanks for the update.

Providing a DSL on top of S4 would certainly be a nice feature. But it is also a challenging
task, closely tied to the framework API and evolving concepts/features.

For info, there have been at least 2 related efforts for S4: S4 Latin https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/s4-project/reIkmFnDUrI/qUC_FJ4uuOEJ
and s4-edsl (though that's more tied to the framework): https://github.com/apache/incubator-s4/tree/dev/subprojects/s4-edsl

You could also try to aim at a generic stream processing DSL, and implement a projection on
S4 (like SAMOA does for stream mining, see http://samoa-project.net/ )

Hope this helps,

Matthieu

On May 9, 2013, at 07:20 , Siddharth wrote:

> Hi Matthieu,
> Sorry for the late response.
> Let me explain briefly what i am looking for as part of pattern matching:
>
> Today on S4, if i want to build an application like tweeter trend analysis, i need to
write my logic as part of processing elements. I need to know which processing elements are
stateless, which are stateful. I needs to carefully design my events and their keys to be
able to run the processing elements parallel in a distributed environment. That's too technical
! What i am looking for is a simple DSL where i can specify the application logic instead
of bothering about low level details.
> Architecturally i would expect this abstraction layer to be built on top of the current
S4 layer. When such DSL models are deployed, the S4 framework should take care of generating
the required processing elements in the best possible way so that the logic can be truely
executed in parallel in a distributed environment.

> Hope i am clear. If the initial ideas sounds interesting to the community, we can discuss
in detail.

> Thanks,
> Siddharth

a bit more what you are looking for?