incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: s4-110 s4 helix integration update
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:54:20 GMT
Thanks for the summary Kishore!

One note about the new design of emitters: before, emitters used be notified of updates to
the cluster, but this is not the case anymore: the senders are the ones receiving these updates,
so they can decide where to send messages.

One implication is that the mapping destination/node in the emitter is not updated automatically.

Illustration: Suppose a mapping destination1->node1. Node 1 fails. Node 2 starts and replaces
node1. Suppose we have a new mapping destination 1 -> node2. In the emitter, in the absence
of notifications, this mapping has not been updated yet. This happens with the first message
to destination 1 - which does not reach destination, but clears the old mapping. Next message
for destination 1 will setup the new channels to node 2.

Once we get the integration complete, we can improve that with something like keeping the
mappings of the emitters in a cache with a TTL or something like that.

The other pending tasks will be porting existing examples (the echo and the twitter examples)
to illustrate the new perspectives offered by this integration.

Regards,

Matthieu