incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gómez Ferro <danie...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Using Helix for cluster management of S4
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 15:42:51 GMT
Hi Kishore,

I just tried it and I think it is very promising!

I followed the readme and everything worked (apart from the adapter
which you mentioned). Then I wanted to make a few changes to the
partitioning but I couldn't get it to work, probably because I don't
understand Helix. I'm sure I wasn't supposed to do most of the things I
did, but maybe it's valuable to you! :)

First I added a new node using the helix-admin command and started the
node. One of the partitions got assigned to the new node (and unassigned
from the old one) but the new node didn't deploy the application. I
tried doing a rebalance of myApp but that somehow messed the S4
configuration.

If I configure the cluster for 3 nodes and start only 2, it works great,
even after starting the 3rd one (it rebalances the partitions correctly)

I also tried swaping two instances and that also worked (I think!). The
only comment is that at first I had no idea how to disable an instance
(it's done with --enable <cluster> <instance> false)

My guess is that I shouldn't be using directly the helix-admin command.
Do we need to provide custom "s4 <command>" for rebalancing, bringing
down nodes, etc?

I think the work is great, sorry I couldn't resist playing with it! It
would be great to have a short guide on how to do a basic rebalancing
operation and so on.

Regards,

Daniel