incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Incubator report for december 2012
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 16:02:13 GMT
Hi,

here is a proposal for this month's report:

--------------------

S4 (Simple Scalable Streaming System) is a general-purpose, distributed,
scalable, partially fault-tolerant, pluggable platform that allows
programmers to easily develop applications for processing continuous,
unbounded streams of data.

S4 entered incubation on September 26th 2011.

Primary issues blocking graduation:

 - growing the community
 - verifying the name of the project. See PODLINGNAMESEARCH-10

Community development since last report:

 We had new users showing interest on the s4-user list, which showed regular activity.
 Several new contributors also participated to technical discussions on the Jira tickets.

Project development since last report:

 The initial release of the completely refactored version of S4 , 0.5.0, was focused on providing
the basic API and features.
 We are now preparing the next release and focusing on integrations, features and performance.

 Regarding integration, for elasticity, we worked on integrating the Apache incubator Helix
project, and for resource scheduling, interfaced with another Apache project: YARN.

 We also worked on improving performance, which is a key factor for adoption.

Let me know if you have suggestions or modifications!

Thanks,

Matthieu

Begin forwarded message: