incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report for december 2012
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 17:06:17 GMT
In other projects, we have been keeping track of the number of jiras open, number of users
signed up to user and dev, etc. I found it useful to keep track of the progress of the growth
of the community.

Unfortunately, I can't request a list of e-mail addresses to the list. I get a response saying
that I'm not the owner, so perhaps I should ask infra about it or have someone else getting
those numbers for the mailing lists.

Otherwise, it looks good.

-Flavio

On Dec 5, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Matthieu Morel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is a proposal for this month's report:
>
> --------------------
>
> S4 (Simple Scalable Streaming System) is a general-purpose, distributed,
> scalable, partially fault-tolerant, pluggable platform that allows
> programmers to easily develop applications for processing continuous,
> unbounded streams of data.
>
> S4 entered incubation on September 26th 2011.
>
> Primary issues blocking graduation:
>
> - growing the community
> - verifying the name of the project. See PODLINGNAMESEARCH-10
>

> Community development since last report:
>
> We had new users showing interest on the s4-user list, which showed regular activity.
> Several new contributors also participated to technical discussions on the Jira tickets.
>

> Project development since last report:
>
> The initial release of the completely refactored version of S4 , 0.5.0, was focused on
providing the basic API and features.
> We are now preparing the next release and focusing on integrations, features and performance.
>
> Regarding integration, for elasticity, we worked on integrating the Apache incubator
Helix project, and for resource scheduling, interfaced with another Apache project: YARN.