incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Helix for cluster management of S4
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 18:44:54 GMT
Matt,

Thats right the key idea is to over partition the stream( number of
partitions higher than the number of nodes).

Helix supports two modes, when a new node is added it automatically moves
partitions. We call this AUTO_REBALANCE. This is recommended for stateless
tasks. Another mode is SEMI_AUTO where you can change the topology using
admin command. So what  one would do is add a new node and then rebalance
the cluster by invoking an Helix Api, Helix will then re-distribute
partitions and as I said earlier will minimize the movement and co-ordinate
the movement. When I say co-ordinate, it will first ask the old leader to
stop processing the partition. It can then snapshot its state. Once thats
done Helix will ask the new node to host the partition, where it can load
the snapshot. I will add this example to the walk through instruction.

 Daniel,

Yes that is possible, I think createTask and deployApp commands already
take an optional parameter to list a subset of nodes but I think I have
only implemented it for deployApp. Adding it for createTask( which assigns
stream processing to s4 nodes) is straight forward.

Matthieu mentioned that in the Readme instructions the adapter command is
invoking the old code. I will make that change in some time. If you are
trying this now, then run GenericEventAdapter from eclipse directly. ( The
same options hold good).

Yes JIRA is 110. I will add the description. I am pretty sure there will be
issues :-)