incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: S4 first release: are we OK?
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 16:53:28 GMT
I've updated the page with some of the missing items and pushed it
live. Take a look at the latest.
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/s4.html

Some comments:

1) did yahoo ever clear or trademark the name? Regardless you should
go through the process at Apache I would think. Open a S4 jira and
start the process. Check how other podlings have done this (recently).
See the apache trademark pages, etc.. (incl the link below)

2) For naming I don't believe you need to address this prior to
releasing, however it is necessary prior to graduation:

"A suitable name search must be successfully completed before a
podling can graduate. This isn't the only way one might be done, just
a smooth path."
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html

3) Anish Nair is listed as a committer, but no apache account. You
should ping and get him signed up asap. (not a rel blocker imo)

Patrick

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Matthieu Morel <mmorel@apache.org> wrote:
> This is the list of missing items on the status page. Is anyone of them a
> blocker for a software release during incubation?
>
> Note that I don't have the missing information, hopefully someone has.
>
> Matthieu
>

> * Identify the project to be incubated
> ** Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist and
> check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
> trademarked for an existing software product.
>
> (Note from Matthieu: I tried to check that through the TESS US page, but
> can't get it to work for the query "S4")
>
> ** If request from an existing Apache project to adopt an external package,
> then ask the Apache project for the SVN module and mail address names.
> ** If request from outside Apache to enter an existing Apache project, then
> post a message to that project for them to decide on acceptance.
> ** If request from anywhere to become a stand-alone PMC, then assess the fit
> with the ASF, and create the lists and modules under the incubator
> address/module names if accepted.
>
> * Infrastructure
> ** Ask infrastructure to set up and archive mailing lists.
> ** Ask infrastructure to set up wiki (Confluence, Moin).
>
> * Mentor-related responsibility/oversight
> date    item
> ** Subscribe all Mentors on the pmc and general lists.
> ** Give all Mentors access to the incubator SVN repository. (to be done by
> the Incubator PMC chair or an Incubator PMC Member wih karma for the
> authorizations file)
> ** Tell Mentors to track progress in the file
> 'incubator/projects/{project.name}.html'
>
> * Copyright
> ** Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been
> received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the package, the core
> code, and any new code produced by the project.
>
> Establish a list of active committers
> ** Check that all active committers have submitted a contributors agreement.
> ** Ask root for the creation of committers' accounts on people.apache.org.
>

> On 7/31/12 7:28 PM, Matthieu Morel wrote:
>>
>> On 7/31/12 6:34 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
>>>
>>> I see another issue with the release. The incubator status page seems
>>> way out of date, you need to update this prior to releasing:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/s4.html
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-status
>>>
>>> how to update:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#Project+Status+Updates
>>

>> Thanks for pointing this out.
>>
>> I filled what I could and updated the incubator status page,
>> unfortunately I don't have all the required information.
>>
>> Hopefully initiators or coordinators of the migration to Apache can jump
>> in to help fill missing items.
>>

>>> Also the apache s4 web site will need to be updated as well, have you
>>> considered this?
>>

>> Yes, most of the documentation will be on the wiki, and we'll update the
> [...]
A?

In

missing a LICENSE

have in lib/. Have I

> [...]