incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Karthik Kambatla <kkamb...@cs.purdue.edu>
Subject Re: S4 first release: are we OK?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 06:42:47 GMT
Hi Matthieu,

Firstly, brilliant job with the release. Congratulations on the great work.

I downloaded the source package, and it looks good - was able to install,
build s4tools and all the tests passed on my Ubuntu box. Along with this,
 I would like to run a simple cluster so that we can add another data point
for environments we support.

What instructions should I follow for the same? Also, we might want to add
a wiki page that documents these steps. Sorry if I have missed any of your
earlier emails with instructions.

Thanks and great job once again,
Karthik

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Leo Neumeyer <leoneumeyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > "A suitable name search must be successfully completed before a
> > podling can graduate. This isn't the only way one might be done, just
> > a smooth path."
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html
> >
> > 3) Anish Nair is listed as a committer, but no apache account. You
> > should ping and get him signed up asap. (not a rel blocker imo)
> >

> Anish didn't get permission from his employer to be a committer so he
> should be removed.
>

> > Patrick
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Matthieu Morel <mmorel@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > > This is the list of missing items on the status page. Is anyone of
> them a
> > > blocker for a software release during incubation?
> > >
> > > Note that I don't have the missing information, hopefully someone has.
> > >
> > > Matthieu
> > >

> > > * Identify the project to be incubated
> > > ** Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist and
> > > check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
> > > trademarked for an existing software product.
> > >
> > > (Note from Matthieu: I tried to check that through the TESS US page,
> but
> > > can't get it to work for the query "S4")
> > >
> > > ** If request from an existing Apache project to adopt an external
> > package,
> > > then ask the Apache project for the SVN module and mail address names.
> > > ** If request from outside Apache to enter an existing Apache project,
> > then
> > > post a message to that project for them to decide on acceptance.
> > > ** If request from anywhere to become a stand-alone PMC, then assess
> the
> > fit
> > > with the ASF, and create the lists and modules under the incubator
> > > address/module names if accepted.
> > >
> > > * Infrastructure
> > > ** Ask infrastructure to set up and archive mailing lists.
> > > ** Ask infrastructure to set up wiki (Confluence, Moin).
> > >
> > > * Mentor-related responsibility/oversight
> > > date    item
> > > ** Subscribe all Mentors on the pmc and general lists.
> > > ** Give all Mentors access to the incubator SVN repository. (to be done
> > by
> > > the Incubator PMC chair or an Incubator PMC Member wih karma for the
> > > authorizations file)
> > > ** Tell Mentors to track progress in the file
> > > 'incubator/projects/{project.name}.html'
> > >
> > > * Copyright
> > > ** Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
> > been
> > > received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the package, the
> > core
> > > code, and any new code produced by the project.
> > >
> > > Establish a list of active committers
> > > ** Check that all active committers have submitted a contributors
> > agreement.
> > > ** Ask root for the creation of committers' accounts on

I'm not

> distribution:

> > leave

> > the
> the
> > itself,

> > be

> > http://incubator.apache.org/**guides/releasemanagement.html#**check-list
> <
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list>

> package

> > mmorel@apache.org>

artefact is the
> > british

S4 scripts.

it works for
thought this

be local gradle cache

MAC

Morel

wrote:

> [...]
I'm missing a
> > LICENSE

binaries we have in lib/.
> Have

and apologies for missing
> > the

the license file, and
> also
are indirectly referenced
> > and

modifications, retagged,
same place (still
> release
yet)

Morel wrote:

> [...]
S4. Version is
> > 0.5.0-incubating.

> http://people.apache.org/~****mmorel/s4-0.5.0-incubating-**<
> > http://people.apache.org/~**mmorel/s4-0.5.0-incubating-**>

> > people.apache.org/~mmorel/s4-**

> http://people.apache.org/~mmorel/s4-0.5.0-incubating-release-candidate-1/>

corresponding references to
derived files, docs, and
> > config
OK.
packages (KEYS file is in

> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/**incubator/s4/dist/KEYS>

> svn.apache.org/repos/asf/**incubator/s4/dist/KEYS<
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/s4/dist/KEYS>

to the general incubator

I was wondering whether I was