incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Board report due tomorrow
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 16:59:01 GMT
Here is a draft based on the previous one we submitted:

S4 (Simple Scalable Streaming System) is a general-purpose, distributed,
scalable, partially fault-tolerant, pluggable platform that allows
programmers to easily develop applications for processing continuous,
unbounded streams of data.

S4 entered incubation on September 26th 2011.

Infrastructure issues

  - No infrastructure issues

Other issues before graduation

  1. Still working towards an initial release on Apache with the current
     code (version 0.4 = version 0.3 + checkpointing + bugfixes)

  2. Complete the current work on the new version (S4-piper, 0.5), which
     is a major refactoring that simplifies concepts, API, and introduce
     new features such as dynamic deployment and reliable channels.

  3. Grow the community. The activity around the project has been low and
     the project simply cannot graduate without substantially increasing
     its activity. We expect to get increased interest once we get a release
     out, in particular of the S4-Piper design. We don't have a release date
     yet, though.

     Additionally, committers have been having internal discussions with
     their companies and outside with their colleagues to attract more
     attention to the project. We have been able to attract some attention,
     but unfortunately that attention has not yet translated into more
     activity around the project.

Project activity:

  - 55 Jira issues created to date
  - 10 issue reporters
  - 5 contributors according to Jira
  - Number of users subscribed to the mailing lists: 75 on dev (55 in the
    previous report), 91 on user (72 in the previous report)