incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Default branch in incubator-s4.git
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:37:43 GMT
On 6/21/12 6:25 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When going through logs on git-wip-us I noticed that there's no master
> branch in the incubator-s4.git repository even though one is
> referenced in HEAD. This confuses the gitweb user interface and causes
> the clone warning you mention in
> http://incubator.apache.org/s4/contrib/.
>
> For now I changed HEAD to point to the piper branch, as that seems to
> be the most actively developed one. Let me know (cc me on replies as
> I'm not subscribed on s4-dev@) if you'd rather have HEAD pointing to
> some other branch.

Thanks Jukka for letting us know.

This situation is a side effect of our development workflow (S4-35)
inspired from http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ ,
in which the master branch holds the released code.

Because there was no release yet under the Apache umbrella, there was no
master branch. Hence the confusion (clarified on our website).

However, unless someone disagrees, I think it's ok to let piper as the
master branch, since piper is the release we are working on right now.

Thanks!

Matthieu