incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From "Nan N. Jiang" <jiang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Runtime Isolation for s4?
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 08:42:18 GMT
Hi Flavio and Leo,

We are involving more and more aspects here in this topic.
That will make it more confused.
Let’s keep it sample and focus on my first question: runtime isolation.
After that, we can talk about other aspect.

For Runtime isolation,
One application could kill another is just one example.
Here, if we separate different in different jvms, then the unit of isolation is still application
level.
Actually, it’s possible that one PE could affect other PEs.
For example:
PE A has a lot of traffic, then PE A may trigger Java GC very frequently.
Then other PEs in the same JVM will be affected.
This is only one scenario that one PE will affect other PE.
There should be more because all these PEs are sharing the same env.
So, why won’t we think about to have a PE level isolation?

About the dynamic load balancing suggested by Leo, I think it’s more about how to do the
partition.
So this should not satisfy my use case.

Regards,
-Nan