incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Neumeyer <leoneume...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Runtime Isolation for s4?
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 17:47:06 GMT
I agree with Naan's functionality request. It's definitely in the
roadmap. We call it dynamic load balancing. The idea is to adapt the
partition function as a function of the load in each node. This will
require that PEs be migrated before the new partition is applied.
Event streams will have to be put on hold while migration occurs.

However, in a production system, you may still want to have smaller
dedicated subclusters for some apps because dynamic load balancing
will always have some cost. For example, the adaptation of the
partition function will not be instantaneous and if apps are not
sharing data, using smaller subclusters will reduce network traffic.

In any case, for now if you need isolation, the only option will be to
use subclusters. There is nobody working on dynamic load balancing but
if someone ones to give it a try, it's a great problem to work on.

-leo

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi Nan, In my understanding, the design of piper supports exactly the case you're saying.
You can have a producer app that produces a stream and consumer apps subscribe to it. My point
was simply that you need a third app to be the producer of the stream. The consumers of the
stream do not need to be aware of how the stream is being produced.

--

Leo Neumeyer (@leoneu)