incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From "Nan N. Jiang" <jiang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject [Discuss] Runtime Isolation for s4?
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:49:59 GMT
Hi Team,

I want to start a discuss about ‘Runtime isolation’ for s4.

Currently, in S4 and S4-piper, following S4’s symmetric principal, all applications will
deployed in all nodes.
And when starting s4 service, all applications deployed will run in the same JVM.
This can be a disaster.
Different application will fight for the JVM/hardware resource.
Bad application even could kill other applications.

Yes. Application Isolation could release the pain.
But all applications are still fight for the resource in the same node.
And all the PE in the same Application still fight for JVM resource.

Thinking about a big application which contains hundreds of PE prototypes,
If we want start this application in one JVM,
Our s4 cluster must have a set of very high performance machines due to the CPU/Memory and
other requirement of this application.
This will limit the usage of S4 in big solution.
I think the future of s4 cluster will be a big set of normal boxes instead of a small set
of high performance boxes.

So, compare application isolation, could we go further?
Could we provide Runtime Isolation function for S4?
Could we change the local deploy unit from application to a group of PE? even one PE?
If this function can be provided by s4,
Every PE could run in it’s own JVM if needed.
Then the resource fighting between PE will be minimum.

Let’s discuss about this.

Regards,
Jiang Nan