incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Flavio Junqueira <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: S4 board report is due tomorrow!
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2012 17:13:56 GMT
Thanks, Pat. I just realized that I left it in preview mode... :-(

-Flavio

On Mar 7, 2012, at 6:12 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:

> It's still missing. Perhaps you didn't save it? I posted the one
> Karthik sent last to the wiki.
> 
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the feedback. I have posted the one Karthik sent last to the
>> wiki.
>> 
>> -Flavio
>> 
>> On Mar 6, 2012, at 8:10 PM, Karthik Kambatla wrote:
>> 
>> Added a note on comm-layer progress -
>> 
>> S4 (Simple Scalable Streaming System) is a general-purpose, distributed,
>> scalable, partially fault-tolerant, pluggable platform that allows
>> programmers to easily develop applications for processing continuous,
>> unbounded streams of data.
>> 
>> S4 entered incubation on September 26th 2011.
>> 
>> * Infrastructure issues
>> - Migration to the experimental git program completed. No problems reported.
>> 
>> * Other issues before graduation
>> 1. Still working towards an initial release on Apache with the current
>> code (version 0.4 = version 0.3 + checkpointing + bugfixes)
>> 
>> 2. Complete the current work on the new version (S4-piper, 0.5), which
>> is a major refactoring that simplifies concepts, API, and introduce new
>> features
>> such as dynamic deployment and reliable channels.
>> 
>> Designed reliable channels; implemented guaranteed message-delivery
>> even in the presence of network glitches and partitions using
>> Netty's TCP. Pending one bug, this code is up for inclusion.
>> 
>> Added an Embedded Domain Specific Language (EDSL) to create applications.
>> 
>> Designed and started implementation of command-line deployment tool to
>> make it easy to manage the cluster.
>> 
>> Design adaptor and inter-application communication.
>> 
>> 
>> 3. Grow the community
>> 
>> * Project activity:
>> 
>> 1. 45 Jira issues created to date
>> 
>> 2. 8 issue reporters
>> 
>> 3. 5 contributors
>> 
>> 4. Mailing lists: 55 on dev, 72 on user
>> 
>> Thanks
>> Karthik
>> 
>> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Leo Neumeyer <leoneumeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Karthik: can you add a note about the work you did in the comm layer.
>>> 
>>> DRAFT EDITS:
>>> 
>>> S4 (Simple Scalable Streaming System) is a general-purpose, distributed,
>>> scalable, partially fault-tolerant, pluggable platform that allows
>>> programmers to easily develop applications for processing continuous,
>>> unbounded streams of data.
>>> 
>>> S4 entered incubation on September 26th 2011.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> * Infrastructure issues
>>> - Migration to the experimental git program completed. No problems
>>> reported.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> * Other issues before graduation
>>> 1. Still working towards an initial release on Apache with the current
>>> code (version 0.4 = version
>>> 0.3 + checkpointing + bugfixes)
>>> 
>>> 2. Complete the current work on the new version (S4-piper, 0.5), which
>>> is a major
>>> refactoring that simplifies concepts, API, and introduce new features
>>> such as dynamic
>>> deployment and reliable channels
>>> 
>>> Added an Embedded Domain Specific Language (EDSL) to create applications.
>>> 
>>> Designed and started implementation of command-line deployment tool to
>>> make it easy to manage the cluster.
>>> 
>>> Design adaptor and inter-application communication.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 3. Grow the community
>>> 
>>> * Project activity:
>>> 
>>> 1. 45 Jira issues created to date
>>> 
>>> 2. 8 issue reporters
>>> 
>>> 3. 5 contributors
>>> 
>>> 4. Mailing lists: 55 on dev, 72 on user
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@yahoo-inc.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>> Here is my draft report, please comment:
>>>> 
>>>> S4 (Simple Scalable Streaming System) is a general-purpose, distributed,
>>>> scalable, partially fault-tolerant, pluggable platform that allows
>>>> programmers to easily develop applications for processing continuous,
>>>> unbounded streams of data.
>>>> 
>>>> S4 entered incubation on September 26th 2011.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> * Infrastructure issues
>>>> - we have been accepted to participate in the experimental git program.
>>>> It
>>>> has been working fine for us to date.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> * Other issues before graduation
>>>> 1. Still working towards an initial release on Apache with the current
>>>> code
>>>> (version 0.4 = version
>>>> 0.3 + checkpointing + bugfixes)
>>>> 
>>>> 2. Complete the current work on the new version (S4-piper, 0.5), which
>>>> is a
>>>> major
>>>> refactoring that simplifies concepts, API, and introduce new features
>>>> such
>>>> as dynamic
>>>> deployment and reliable channels
>>>> 
>>>> 3. Grow the community
>>>> 
>>>> * Project activity:
>>>> 
>>>> 1. 45 Jira issues created to date
>>>> 
>>>> 2. 8 issue reporters
>>>> 
>>>> 3. 5 contributors
>>>> 
>>>> 4. Mailing lists: 55 on dev, 72 on user
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On Mar 6, 2012, at 6:20 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> I haven't seen any discussion on the S4 board report, which is due
>>>> tomorrow. Can someone put something together and get it posted on the
>>>> wiki ASAP?
>>>> 
>>>> Patrick
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> flavio
>>>> junqueira
>>>> 
>>>> research scientist
>>>> 
>>>> fpj@yahoo-inc.com
>>>> direct +34 93-183-8828
>>>> 
>>>> avinguda diagonal 177, 8th floor, barcelona, 08018, es
>>>> phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> --
>>> 
>>> Leo Neumeyer (@leoneu)
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> flavio
>> junqueira
>> 
>> research scientist
>> 
>> fpj@yahoo-inc.com
>> direct +34 93-183-8828
>> 
>> avinguda diagonal 177, 8th floor, barcelona, 08018, es
>> phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301
>> 

flavio
junqueira
 
research scientist
 
fpj@yahoo-inc.com
direct +34 93-183-8828
 
avinguda diagonal 177, 8th floor, barcelona, 08018, es
phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message