incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Proposal to Add S4 to the Git Testing Program
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 08:50:51 GMT
I have a question with respect to the use of git, and I'm sorry if
this is naive, but I'm already too used to jira+svn procedure. If we
remain on git, do we still produce diff patches and upload them to the
corresponding jiras? I'm basically wondering if we still follow the
typical jira workflow and keep the patch in the jira.

-Flavio

On Dec 1, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Leo Neumeyer wrote:

> Hi Joe and others. Here is a short proposal to join the Git testing
> program.
>
> thanks,
> Leo Neumeyer (@leoneu)
>
> --
>
> # Proposal to Add S4 to Git Testing
>
> * Project is already in Git: the S4 project recently joined the Apache
> Incubator and is currently hosted in Github.
>
> * Avoid losing history: We have tried unsuccessfully to preserve the
> project history before migrating the Git repository to SVN. As a
> result, we
> decided to proceed without preserving history.
>
> * Git vs. SVN: We have had experience working with both SVN and Git
> and the
> consensus is that we all prefer to continue working with Git.
> Switching to
> SVN is acceptable and we knew this when we joined but it will take
> some
> time to change processes and we'd rather use our time writing code
> if we
> have that option.
>
> * Standardization: We believe that Git will become a standard in
> most open
> source projects and Apache is already testing the use of Git. As a
> result
> we think that a switch to Git in the future is very likely. Would be
> better
> to avoid the Git -> SVN -> Git transitions.
>
> * No big deal: if for some reason, Apache decides not to support Git
> after
> the test is complete, we will switch to SVN at that time. As part of
> an
> organization, we understand that common solutions across projects are
> required.
>
> * Timing: we are about to do the Git -> SVN transition so timing
> could not
> be better for this projet.
>
> Thanks!
> The S4 Committers
>
> --

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

fpj@yahoo-inc.com
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301