incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: reminder: board report due weds.
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 10:40:39 GMT
On 12/5/11 7:25 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
> dec 7th.
>
> Patrick

Hi,

here is a proposal for the incubator report (please comment/amend):

S4 (Simple Scalable Streaming System) is a general-purpose, distributed,
scalable, partially fault-tolerant, pluggable platform that allows
programmers to easily develop applications for processing continuous,
unbounded streams of data.

S4 entered incubation on September 26th 2011.

* Infrastructure issues
- we are waiting for an answer to our proposal for using an apache git
repository instead of converting our existing code base from git to svn.
This proposal was in response to a call by the infra team for joining
the git testing program.

* Other issues before graduation
  1. Migrate code from github to Apache infrastructure and make an
initial release on Apache with the current code (version 0.4 = version
0.3 + checkpointing + bugfixes)

2. learning and applying Apache's procedures (consensus), and
defining/adapting development workflows for the project

3. Complete the current work on the new version (0.5), which is a major
refactoring in order to simplify concepts, API, and introduce new
features such as dynamic deployment and reliable channels

4. Grow the community

* Activity since last report:

1. started using the jira tracker: 30 tickets created and commented so far

2. redirected users and developers from former google groups forum to
apache's mailing lists

3. Migrated web site from www.s4.io to incubator.apache.org/s4

4. Most of the development work has been focused on 0.5