incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Neumeyer <leoneume...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accepting proposals regarding early git adoption
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:49:10 GMT
Suggested proposal:

# Proposal to Add S4 to Git in the Testing Phase

* Project is already in Git: the S4 project recently joined the Apache
Incubator and is currently hosted in github.

* Avoid losing history: We have tried unsuccessfully to preserve the
project history before migrating the Git repository to SVN. As a result, we
decided to proceed without preserving history.

* Git vs. SVN: We have had experience working with both SVN and Git and the
consensus is that we all prefer to continue working with Git. Switching to
SVN is acceptable and we knew this when we joined but it will take some
time to change processes and we'd rather use our time writing code if we
have that option.

* Standardization: We believe that Git will become a standard in most open
source projects and Apache is already testing the use of Git. As a result
we think that a switch to Git in the future is very likely. Would be better
to avoid the Git -> SVN -> Git transitions.

* No big deal: if for some reason, Apache decides not to support Git after
the test is complete, we will switch to SVN at that time. As part of an
organization, we understand that common solutions across projects are
required.

* Timing: we are about to do the SVN -> Git transition so timing could not
be better for this projet.

Thanks!
The S4 Committers

--