incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From "Gavin McDonald" <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject RE: Git to SVN
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:07:09 GMT
Lets make it clear. Projects that come to the ASF do so with full knowledge
that they need to use SVN as the main repo.
When we have a read/write Git repo available for projects then we will
announce and document it as being available.
That is quite some time away from happening so unfortunately you will have
to find a way to deal with the conversion.

Gav…

From: Bruce Robbins [mailto:bruce.robbins.s4@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 9 November 2011 5:49 PM
To: s4-dev@incubator.apache.org; jeremy@thomersonfamily.com
Cc: Paul Davis; Leo Neumeyer; infrastructure@apache.org
Subject: Re: Git to SVN

I am the fellow trying to convert the S4 git repository to SVN with history
preserved. I gave the following a whirl:

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/ImportingFromGit
http://sandrotosi.blogspot.com/2010/02/migrate-git-repo-to-svn-one.html
http://blog.paulbetts.org/index.php/2007/12/02/moving-git-repositories-to-sv
ntfs/

The first two basically had the same issue: it required me to manually
resolve all merges that had been performed in the history (and we have
many). The third one just produced a series of error messages.

I have not tried the perl script yet. I will contact Jukka Zittings.

However, I agree with Jeremy: it would be great if we didn't have to
preserve history from git to svn, and then sometime later from svn back to
git.
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Jeremy Thomerson
<jeremy@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Paul Davis
<paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Since so many projects seem to be migrating from svn to git, is there
any
> > way we can continue using git for this project. (I mean use git only,
> not as
> > a mirror).
>
> While I can't comment on best practices for Git-to-SVN moving, I'd
> just like to chime in to note that "so many projects" is not a good
> description of the current state of Git support at the ASF. Currently
> there is a single project using it in a limited manner as a test for
> wider support. There is no proposed time table for if/when Git support
> will be expanded so I would proceed as if it doesn't exist.

Is it possible that this project could be added as a beta tester of Git?
It really doesn't make sense to make them migrate git->svn->git.  If the
Git experiment fails, then they do a single migration.  If it succeeds, no
migration necessary.

Jeremy Thomerson