incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Neumeyer <leoneume...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSGI for S4
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:13:37 GMT
I think the current plan is as follows:

Now in GitHub:

Current release: s4 version 0.3
Last release in GitHub: s4 v0.4 - same as s4 v0.3 + bug fixes + checkpointing)

after moving to Apache Incubator:

Stable release: s4 v0.4
Dev: s4-piper becomes s4 v0.5 (replaces *ALL* of s4, not just core, of
course we reuse some of the classes and code but it is a major
rewrite. The API is conceptually similar but the approach is
completely different. There is no backwards compatibility.)

The new design is more strictly object oriented, we eliminate
reflection, castings, string literals, and XML in most of the code
base. Internally it uses static typing extensively with Generics and
Guice which makes it much easier to understand and navigate and is
less error prone and easier to test. App development for one or a
thousand nodes is exactly the same, just a simple graph of PEs and
Streams implemented in an single App class that can easily be tested
in Eclipse on a single node.

and of course we are open for suggestions and comments and contributions.

-leo

--

-leo