incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Henry Saputra <henry.sapu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSGI for S4
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2011 16:24:37 GMT
Leo

Looks like the code structure for s4-piper is different from s4 repo.

Is the piper suppose to replace the s4-core module of the s4?
Sorry if I miss something obvious.

Henry

On Saturday, October 8, 2011, Leo Neumeyer <leoneumeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> [sending to the new s4-dev-subscribe list!]
>
> Thank you Adam, let me read the links you sent to understand this better.
>
> BTW. I reorganized the project into subprojects to make it easier to
separate examples from the framework.

> To implement inter-app communication I added EventSource which an app can
use to publish its output to other apps and other apps can subscribe to. We
can also use it to build adaptors to non-s4 events. We can use the osgi
mechanisms for declaring dependencies such as app2 depends on app1 and for
app2 to do: app1.subscribeStream(anApp2Stream) so app2 can get events from
app1. Unless an app uses an EventSource, its events will not be exported.
This will create good isolation and make it easier to add a security layer
around apps. Both Stream and EventSource implement Streamable.

https://github.com/leoneu/s4-piper

osgi plugin http://gradle.org/osgi_plugin.
>> Its using bnd tool http://www.aqute.biz/Bnd/Bnd.
>> Then embed osgi container (using standard osgi api)  in Controller
instead of JBoss modules see
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-launching-and-embedding.html
.
>> and configure directory from which felix should auto deploy our examples
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-usage-documentation.html#ApacheFelixFrameworkUsageDocumentation-autodeploy.
For dynamic deployment we can use file install bundle
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-file-install.html, it will watch
directory from which it loads new bundles.
>> To configure properly examples we can use ipojo
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-ipojo.html or declarative services
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-service-component-runtime.html,
they both using service component model and are not intrusive in the code.
>> That will be enough to load properly the apps.
>>
>> Later we have to think how we want to use osgi in s4, just to load apps
or properly use service management. Bundles are hiding the internals from
other bundles and should communicate through well defined services. And also
I don't have clear picture how s4 is going to be distributed (have to look
more at https://github.com/s4/s4). Maybe you can write me some small
description of s4 concept.