incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: S4 zk integration
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:34:04 GMT
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <
gdfm@apache.org> wrote:

> I just wanted to give a suggestion on an issue.
>

> > - test package names: I started using prefixing by test.s4, in order to
> > avoid any confusion with other classes from code. I'm ok for prefixing
> > tests
> > with org.apache.s4, but I think it should at least be org.apache.s4.test.
> > Which naming scheme do we choose?
> >

> In my experience, putting tests in the same package as the class being
> tested helps a lot with interface design, i.e. you don't need to make a
> method public to make it testable but you can use the default package
> visibility and yet not include it in the package-level API. This makes it
> cleaner what the API itself is.

Thanks Gianmarco, interesting suggestion! I was looking towards avoiding any
possible confusion between test and core classes (especially during
autocompletion),
but you have a better point for a different approach.

I'm personally ok for following your recommendation, and can take care of
changing
existing tests, if no one disagrees.

> An easy way to separate tests and source code is to have a /src
> subdirectory
> and a /test subdirectory with mirrored source trees below (so you have
> src/org/apache/s4/ and test/org/apache/s4/ and classes in these two
> locations are in the same package).

We already have that, i.e. we have a project structure similar to
maven-built projects.

Matthieu