incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: beautiful code
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:07:54 GMT
On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Leo Neumeyer <leoneumeyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd love to try (1) and (2), especially the the formatting tool
> integrated into the IDE. The goal, I think, is to have consistency to
> avoid unnecessary source control diffs. and make the code look nice
> and clean.

I'll add a jira ticket for that and will propose a first version of a
standard, with instructions of how to enforce it. Possibly using checkstyle
as suggested by Kishore.

Kishore: about findbugs, I also wrote some code that takes advantage of the
history feature of findbugs so that we can integrate detection of new bugs
in the continous integration process. Much more efficient than manually
running the plugin! I can provide that as well.

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Matthieu Morel <mmorel@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> * Good design will make the code easy to understand but eventually we
> >> need to implement complex logic. For those cases write very detailed
> >> comments to help other people read your code.
> >>

> > From the oracle/sun java code conventions (
> > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconventions-150003.pdf), I
> like
> > the following recommendation:
> >
> > --> "Note: The frequency of comments sometimes reflects poor quality of
> > code. When you feel compelled to add a comment, consider rewriting the
> code
> > to make it clearer."

I'm realizing it doesn't read exactly like I intended: this is a comment in
complement, not in opposition to Leo's suggestion ;-)

Matthieu