incubator-s4-dev mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Monthly Board Report - Oct 2011
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:26:45 GMT
S4 (Simple Scalable Streaming System) is a general-purpose,
distributed, scalable, partially fault-tolerant, pluggable platform
that allows programmers to easily develop applications for processing
continuous, unbounded streams of data.

S4 entered incubation on September 26th 2011.

Issues before graduation

- Migrate code from github to Apache SVN and make an initial release
on Apache with the current code (version 0.4 = version 0.3 +
checkpointing + bugfixes)
- All committers to get ICLA
- Migrate web site from s4.io to Apache infrastructure
- Complete the current work on the new version (0.5), which is a major
refactoring in order to simplify concepts, API, and introduce new
features such as dynamic deployment and reliable channels
- Grow the community

Community

- Mailing lists have been created. We are already using them.
- Jira initialized and started to track issues
- Karma granted for committers with ICLA
- Confluence Wiki space created
- IRC channel set-up

Project developments

- We have pre-Apache releases on github and our current effort mostly
focused on a major refactoring of the codebase. Goal is to have it
ready soon so that we don't need to support 2 distinct concurrent
versions.