From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: MarshalledServiceItem
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 14:54:49 GMT
On 2/7/2011 5:28 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Do we really need a concurrent version of this class? How often will Entry
> classes change?

My choice is always to consider concurrency first, unless there is some element
of performance that this impacts.  The simple fact is that there is a toString()
that traverses the contents.  So, you either must synchronize all access to the
contents, or use a CHM which solves the problem without any future concurrency
surprises.

I'm really serious about this, because of how I've encountered tons of
"synchronized" blocks in river which introduce huge latency in "processing"
because they cause everyone to wait in line for stuff which very often is quite
independent.

Yes, this structure is mostly one time mutated.  But, its design exposes a
continuous mutation capability.  Thus, any "read" of the contents has to take
that into account.

Gregg Wonderly

: