From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Jini Community Projects on Java.net WAS: Re: java.net
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 22:04:59 GMT
Sam, there is not a comprehensive list anywhere, but I'll post one here just FYI
and anyone else who might be interested.  What I want to stress is that most of
this stuff is hovering closer to "investigation" than "production" quality code.
  I'm willing to answer questions as best I can.  Some of it is early versions
of stuff which I later put into production with changes/enhancements.

gosie           A Jini Based Desktop System
                 This is my serviceUI based desktop environment.
                 This application lets you use a list of hosts and URL
                 suffixes, and then does unicast to those hosts, and
                 creates a dynamic policy for all host and URL suffix
                 combinations.  In my use, I rely the reef project work
                 on reggie for delayed unmarshalling as well as on the
                 fact that the hosts have services returning vhttp URLs
                 in the annotations which will download and locally cache
                 all service jars.  In the deployments I use this, there
                 are 5-10 services per machine with 2-4 jars per service.
                 There are 2 or more serviceUIs per service registration.
                 This results in hundreds of UIs to select from and thus
                 I need very quick display of icons and choices.

griddle         Jini Grid tuple space
                 This is something that I put together while the
                 JavaSpaces05 discussion was happening.  It has in-space
                 executor and programmble query control because the space
                 objects are separated from the keys so that the data
                 can stay marshalled and the keys can be unmarshalled
                 and compared with the "entry" matching implementation.

jetset          A Jetty service for launching servlets
                 This is a service that launches the Jetty web server
logman          Remote logging management using a Jini enabled LogManager
                 This service is launched from the LogManager SPI in
                 the JVM.  It provides remote monitoring by letting you
                 change logger settings as well as remote streaming of
                 the log output.

reef            A service lookup to reduce client memory use.
                 This is the work that I did to make Reggie return
                 marshalled match data so that you can decide when
                 to unmarshall the service and the Entry objects
                 yourself.  You can thus get Name objects and other
                 data without unmarshalling the service.  I also did
                 work to Jini to provide the ability to configure the
                 net.jini.loader.pref.ClassLoading class to "never prefer"
                 some classes so that things such as Name would never
                 cause the initial download that the preferred list
                 discovery causes.

startnow        A collection of Jini tools for new Users
                 This includes a ConfigurableJiniApplication and a
                 PersistentJiniService class that I use all the time
                 as foundations for all services I write.  But there
                 are also all kinds of things that I dumped into
                 this project as I was experimenting with different
                 concepts about abstracting parts of Jini prior to the
                 2.0 release with Configuration and other good things.
                 Included in this project is stuff like a configuration
                 provider/manager that I was working on.  There is also
                 a DynamicPolicyProxyPreparer class that was intended
                 to allow proxyPreparation to look at the codesource
                 and assert policy around the prepared proxy.  This was
                 intended to allow "users" or "deployers" to give users
                 appropropriate local policy to use for services they
                 might encounter on the network.

whatsitdo       A Jini Container system for Jini Examples
                 This project was about giving people instance access
                 to Jini as well as to example services which used Jini.
                 It provides a container GUI that you can drag "jars" into
                 and the contained services will be shown and you can then
                 launch them and use the associated serviceUIs.  What is
                 interesting, to me, in this, was that I put together some
                 "hacks" on the JarFile/ZipFile mechanisms and jar: URL
                 handling in the JVM to allow recursive jar URLs to work.
                 This meant that you could put the jini jars into your
                 services jar as the complete classpath for it, and include
                 codebase jars as well, and through the magic I created,
                 everything just worked.  It still works last I tried it.

                 The build scripts do all the work to package thinsg,
                 and there are control points that are created in that
                 process to allow the right thing to happen.  I used
                 the com.sun.jini.start stuff as the "service launching"
                 control code.

Gregg Wonderly